Keeping your BBQ safe

Keeping your BBQ safe

7th Oct 2020

Take care this summer and don’t put yourself or your family at risk

Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous substance which is created when fossil fuels such as gas and solid fuels like charcoal and wood fail to combust fully due to a lack of oxygen. You can’t see it, taste it or smell it but it can kill quickly with no warning.

If you’re planning on using a BBQ, whether it’s a disposable one, gas or charcoal make sure you keep yourself safe and don’t put yourself at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

If you’re using a gas BBQ or gas camping equipment, follow these tips to help you stay safe:

  • Check that the appliance is in good order, undamaged and that hoses are properly attached and undamaged. If in doubt get the hoses replaced or don’t use it
  • Make sure the gas taps are turned off before changing the gas cylinder and do it in the open air
  • Don’t over-tighten joints
  • Read the manufacturer’s instructions about how to check for gas escapes from hoses or pipework, e.g. brushing leak detection solution around all joints and looking for bubbles
  • Never take a gas stove, light or heater into a tent, caravan or cabin.
  • Check the expiry date on all your gas bottles and replace any out of date bottles – you can bring your out of date bottles to Rockgas Alexandra and we will take care of them for you.
  • Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat build-up from the grills and in trays below the grill.
  • Use care when igniting - before turning on a gas burner, light the match or press the ignition button. If the burner won’t light, turn off the gas and wait for the gas smell to clear before trying again. Don’t turn the gas up to full before igniting it.
  • Don’t use outdoor gas appliances inside - outdoor appliances such as barbeques and camping equipment shouldn’t be used inside the home or buildings.

If you have any other questions about your gas BBQ, just give us a call or pop into our showroom to speak to our friendly team.